WIFI Camera Smart Robot Car
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Function Module Introduction
- 2.1 HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor Module
- 2.2 L293D Motor Drive Expansion Board
- 2.3 SG90 9g micro servo motor and Pan/Tilt/Zoom
- 2.4 4WD Driver Motor Robot Smart Car Chassis Kits
- 2.5 Line Tracking Module
- 2.6 2.6 WIFI Module Kit
- 2.7 Camera
- 3 Pin Definition
- 4 Wiring
- 5 Installation
- 6 Start Programing
- 7 RobotCar App for Android
- 8 Trouble shooting
The UCTRONICS WIFI Smart Robot Car Kit is a flexible vehicular kit particularly designed for education, competition and entertainment. With it, you can implement diverse interesting ideas, such as WIFI remote control, automatic avoidance of obstacles, line inspection, take pictures and record videos, etc. What’s more, in the manual mode, it has first person view (FPV). A robot is a machine that can perform some tasks automatically or with guidance. Robotics is generally a combination of computational intelligence and physical machines (motors). Due to their high level of performance and reliability, the robot gets the splendid popularity in our daily life. Come on! let’s go into a Robot World!
Each part of the car is as below:
The UNO R3 board for Arduino
The UNO is the best board to get started with electronics and coding. If this is your first experience tinkering with the platform, the UNO is the most robust board you can start playing with. The UNO is the most used and documented board of the whole Arduino family.
|Microcontroller: ATmega328P||Input voltage (recommended): 7V-12V|
|Operating voltage: 5V||Digital I/O Pins: 14 (of which 6 provide PWM output)|
|Analog input Pins: 6||DC current per I/O Pin: 40 mA|
|SRAM: 2 KB (ATmega328)||DC current for 3.3V Pin: 50 mA|
|Clock speed: 16 MHz||Flash memory: 32 KB (ATmega328P) of which 0.5 KB
used by bootloader
Functions of UNO Board
- Connect with L293D motor drive board, control the movement of the car
- Connect with ultrasonic module, achieve obstacle avoidance function
- Connect with camera and PTZ, control the movement of PTZ
- Connect with wifi module, remote control the car
- Connect with the tracking module, realize the function of line tracking
Click the following link, you can find in the Getting Started section all the information you need to configure your board, use the Arduino Software (IDE), and start tinker with coding and electronics.
Function of Each Module
- L293D expansion board with a switch: drive the motor to rotate
- Ultrasonic sensor module: distance measurement and obstacle avoidance
- Line tracking module: black and white sensor for recognition of the white and black
- Wifi module: provide the Wifi remote control function
- Chassis kit: the frame of the car and drive the car to move
- Servo and Pan/Tilt/Zoom: enable the camera to rotate
- 5MP camera module: take a picture or record a video
Function Module Introduction
HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor Module
The HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor module for Arduino is used for obstacle detection. Ultrasonic sensor transmits the ultrasonic waves from its sensor head and again receives the ultrasonic waves reflected from an object.
The ultrasonic sensor emits the short and high frequency signal. These propagate in the air at the velocity of sound. If they hit any object, then they reflect back echo signal to the sensor. The ultrasonic sensor consists of a multi vibrator, fixed to the base. The multi vibrator is combination of a resonator and vibrator. The resonator delivers ultrasonic wave generated by the vibration. The ultrasonic sensor actually consists of two parts; the emitter which produces a 40 kHz sound wave and the detector detects 40 kHz sound wave and sends electrical signal back to the microcontroller. The ultrasonic sensor enables the robot to virtually see and recognize object, measure distance and avoid obstacles. The operating range of ultrasonic sensor is 2 cm to 450 cm.
|Working voltage: 5V DC||Output signal: Electric frequency signal|
|Static current: < 2mA||Output voltage: 0V（no obstacle）,5V(obstacle in range)|
|Sensor angle: <= 15°||Echo signal: output TTL PWL signal|
|High precision: Up to 0.3cm||Input trigger signal: 10us TTL impulse|
|Detection distance: 2-450cm||Mode of connection: VCC, trig (T), echo, GND|
|HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor Module||Arduino UNO|
L293D Motor Drive Expansion Board
This is a commonly used DC motor drive module, using L293D chip with small current DC motor driver. The pins are made compatible with Arduino which is easy to use.
- 2 connections for 5V servos connected to the Arduino's high-resolution dedicated timer
- Up to 4 bi-directional DC motors with 4 PWM speed regulation
- Up to 2 stepper motor control, single / double step control, staggered or microstepping
and rotation angle control
- Ultrasonic interface, tracking module interface
- The buzzer is already soldered in the L293D motor drive board
- 4 H-Bridges: L293D chipset provides 0.6A per bridge (1.2A peak) with thermal
shutdown protection, 4.5V to 36V
- Pull down resistors to keep motors in the state of rest during power-up
- All module interfaces have been modified with XH2.54 ports as to make it much easier
and convenient to assemble the car
- With power button
SG90 9g micro servo motor and Pan/Tilt/Zoom
SG90 9g micro small servo motor is the main source of controlling action of the remote-control model. The module is widely applied in the field of fixed wing, helicopter, gliding, small robot, manipulator model. PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) is a set of equipment used to install and fix the camera module. One set of PTZ contains a PTZ base, 3 pieces PTZ brackets and several accessory screws. Support full rotation.
- Size: 23x12.2x29 mm
- Torsional moment: 1.5kg/cm
- Working voltage: 4.2V-6V
- Temperature range: 0℃-55℃
- Operating speed: 0.1 seconds /60°
- Dead band width: 10 microseconds
- The maximum rotation angles of left and right are around the same.
4WD Driver Motor Robot Smart Car Chassis Kits
With the car platform, adding micro-controller (such as Arduino) and sensor modules, then program it, a robot car comes up. All the module interfaces have been modified with XH2.54 ports as to make it much easier and convenient to assemble the car.
- 4pcs Wheels
- 4pcs Geared Motors (1:48)
- 8pcs T-type Fastener
- 1pcs 18650 Battery Container
- 1pcs Acrylic Car Chassis
- Screws+ Nuts
Line Tracking Module
The line tracking module detects lines in the surrounding environment, and transfers the data to the processor. The processor analyzes the data, and sends a command to control the movement of the wheels.
The TCRT5000 IR sensor on the line follower has a TX and RX inside. If a bright color surface is detected in front of the sensor, such as a white paper (about 1cm away), most of the IR rays will be reflected; if a dark color like black surface is detected, most of the rays will be absorbed, while only a small amount will be reflected. The RX will output different analog signals according to the intensity of the reflected IR light.
|Working voltage: DC 5V||Detecting range: 1~20mm|
|Working temperature: 0°C ~ + 50°C||Detector type: phototransistor|
|Emitter wavelength: 950 nm||PCB dimension: 20mm×54mm|
|3 output channel||Output level: TTL level (black line of low
effective, high efficient white line)
2.6 WIFI Module Kit
The wifi module kit includes two parts, one is the core board, and the other is the wifi adapter board. It is used to send control command to the car and transmits the real-time camera image to the smart phone.
The wifi core board:
- Support OS: Openwrt (linux)
- Working voltage: 3.3V ± 10
- Average power consumption: 0.45W
- Working temperature: -10~70℃
- Wireless speed: maximum is 150Mbps
- RF power: maximum is 18dbm
- System frequency: 400MHz
- RAM: 64MByte DDR2 RAM
- Wireless transmission distance: 80-100m
- Wireless working mode: Routing, AP, Relay, Bridging
- Item dimension: 39mm X 23mm
The wifi adapter board:
- Support USB camera interface
- With system startup light
- With wifi antenna
- Item dimension: 46mm X 44mm
You can take a picture or record a video through the camera stuck in the Pan/Tilt/Zoom and connected with two 9g micro servo motor, thus giving better shooting experience when you're using it on the smart car kit.
- 5 megapixels image sensor OV5640
- Support for JPEG output format
- Interface: usb2.0
- Item size: 28mm X 28mm
You can click the below link to get the operation video of installation
Install Arduino IDE
Go to the www.arduino.cc website and click
Software. On the page, check the software list on the right side under Download the Arduino Software
Find the one that suits your operation system and click to download. There are two versions of Arduino for Windows: Installer or ZIP file. You're recommended to download the former
Press the button
JUST DOWNLOADto download the software
Double click the
.exefile and the following window will show up. Click
Browseto choose the installation path or enter a directory at the Destination Folder. Click
Installto initiate installation
After the installing progress bar goes to the end, the ‚Close button‛ may be enabled for some PC. Just click it to complete the installation
Then a prompt appears. Select Always trust software for "Adafruit Industries" and click
After the installation is done, click
Close. Then an Arduino icon will appear on the desktop:
Step 1: Download and unzip the file
Step 2: Open the documents ‚WIFI_Camera_Smart_Robot_Car-master‛
And then, Copy ‚RobotCar‛ to .. \ Arduino \ libraries (under the installation path of Arduino)
Open Arduino IDE, click
Tools to select the serial port
WIFI_Camera_Robot_Car to select the library
Step 6: Compile and upload Note: Before you compile the code, please read the demo explanation first.
Any questions, please refer to our trouble shooting link:
RobotCar App for Android
The app is specially designed for Uctronics wifi smart robot car. It can control the movement of the car, avoid the obstacles, start line tracking, adjust the camera direction, take photos and videos.
Download and Install App
7.2 Connect to the Robot Car
Open the ‘RobotCar’ app
This is the boot screen
If the app remind ‚Can’t connect car! Please check Network!‛ Don’t worry, you should check your wifi to ensure you have connected to the ‘UCTRONICS’ hotspot
Smart WIFI Robot Car Kit for Arduino As the picture shows the ‘UCTRONICS’ hotspot
If connect successful, the app will remind you ‘Connect successfully!’ Now you will see the scene from the car’s camera. At the same time, you can operate the joystick on the screen to control the car. The left joystick is to control servo and the right joystick is to control the motor
You can take a picture or record a video or make a speaker work. Click this button then you will come into setting windows.
Reset the servo to the middle position
- Start tracking mode. After clicked, it will changed to stop tracking
- Automatic avoidance of obstacles
- Choose wifi
- Refresh the app In case of accident.
- Setting choose
- Exit the application
After click the setting button, you can configure the Image path/Video path/IP Address (192.168.1.1)/Control port (2001) and Video Port. as normal you should not change the default IP Address /Control port and Video port
Calibration and speed setting
You can change the value of Froward to compensate for the speed difference of the motor. You can change the value of basic speed to control the motor speed.
Exit the application
Notice When using the function of taking picture or recording video, you need to get the right to read or write the memory. The detail steps are as follows:
The video still does not display even if ‘Connect successfully’ is appeared And the problem can’t be settled down through refresh. That may be caused by a low Android version. At this moment, you can click ‘Setting’ and choose ‘DISPLAY_MODE’ to change the mode to 2.
Video ok but will not move
1. Have you uploaded the WIFI_Camera_Robot_Car demo to your UNO board? If not the Robot will not respond the command from your App.For how to upload the code to the UNO, please refer to chapter 6 of the K0071.pdf we send to you or refer to https://www.uctronics.com/wiki/index.php? title=WIFI_Camera_Smart_Robot_Car#Start_Programing
2. You must ensure that at the same time only one phone can connect and control the Robot car. because the robot only has one control port.
3. Have you try Refresh your RobotCar App and restart your RobotCar? If not please try.
4.More question,please refer to our trouble shooting